FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:03 am
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rkaradi
Thanks for the great report, it is so insightfull, my wife and I are going in September and this just made us 1000% more excited then we already are. Many many thanks. ^^^
Was internet free or did it cost?
Have to ask, it sounds like you booked this in December was it hard for you to find award travel for January. Also what carriers did you fly on and what portions on each carrier? I'm guessing US,Thai,SQ and UA. How was the service etc.
Thanks
Internet is complimentary throughout the resort. It's a shame it's not faster, but you're on a remote tropical island, so I guess with that being said, it's OK.

I flew US, TG, NH, and SQ. US is horrible domestic first class service (as expected) but the others provide great service and meals up-front. I had no problems booking my travel a few weeks prior to the trip. TG had the nicest cabin, SQ had the best foods, NH had the best service.

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Going then too, hopefully we'll see you there. ^

Question to Weatherboy:

When they take the $2500 is it an actual prepayment, or just an authorization for $2500? We ask b/c our HH CC's closing date will be during the middle of our stay. $2500 on check-in and we'll be billed b/4 we get home (in which case I guess we'll have to prepay a bunch on the card)as we'll still be traveling for a few weeks. $2500 at check-out and we'd be golden, however.
The $2,500 was an all-out charge and was not an authorization.

Originally Posted by I(heart)SQ
Thank you so much for such a detailed report!!!!!^ It's going to be so helpful for our trip! One quick question that I have is did you do any laundry while you were there? If so, do you happen to remember how expensive it was?? Thanks so much!
I do everything possible to avoid laundry while I travel and this trip was no exception.

The resort does not do any dry cleaning due to environmental concerns, so if you're planning to have something cleaned, make sure its washable. I did scan the laundry slip and didn't think any prices jumped out --they were just as expensive as any major resort in the U.S. mainland. But I don't recall any specific prices.

This was the lightest I've ever packed for a long trip ...I think my luggage there was about 20 pounds total. Just a bunch of light shirts and shorts. Without the need for dressing up, I left dressier clothes (and things like dress slacks / shoes) home. For bathing suits, I would dry them out in the sun and re-wear them a few times over my stay.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 15, 2009 at 2:17 pm Reason: Consolidation.