FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:14 pm
Proud Marine Wife

As my "handle" suggests, I'm a proud wife of a U.S. Marine.

Tomorrow, I will be picking him up at the airport in Savannah for his two week leave, after which he will return for another six months.

He has been traveling since Saturday to get from the desert to the city, to Kuwait, to Germany, to the US, to Atlanta, to Savannah. He has been sleeping on the floor, in a chair, and I'm not sure what else. He left wearing his uniform, but if I actually see him in it, I will be surprised - as Marines are not generally authorized to wear their uniforms unless actively working. But I don't know about traveling home for R&R. If he's stinky, well, I'm sorry about that. He probably is too.

I came onto the forum to find out how to get a gate pass - I don't want to wait a second longer to see him - and found this thread.

I haven't seen him in 6 months. I've seen him rarely over the past 3 years, a few weeks here and there. If you are traveling tomorrow and you see a tall woman with a beautiful, curly headed, blue eyed 2 year old girl with flags waving at the gate, waiting for our Marine to hold us once again, please know that if you have been one of those who gave up your seat for my husband, I thank you very much.

We don't expect it, and the rancor generated by military getting seats does sting a bit, as we don't ask for those things. Maybe other branches do it differently, I don't know. All I know is no Marine would ever wear his uniform for an integrity violation of using it to get a seat. I absolutely understand the fury at having to give up a paid seat; I would be frustrated also.

Ahh. A little off track. All I wanted to do was say Thank You to anyone who ever showed military personnel a kindness. It means more than you know, and sometimes is the thread that helps keep our families going. We believe in serving this country and are grateful for what we have.

Sincerely,
Laurie