FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - E-cigs in flight
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:11 pm
pragakhan

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by AllTheNamesWhereTaken
But it's not a tobacco product. There is absolutely no tobacco in e-cigs. It's simply vaporized nicotine.
That's fine and dandy but how does one use it? You take an item, the shape and size of a cigarette and put it in your mouth like a cigarette, then you inhale on it and a cloudy looking substance is the result, much like a cigarette. Guess what everyone around him would think it is? Guess how much of a hassle the FAs would have in trying to explain it to everyone complaining. Should they get on the PA and let 100 or so pax know that your husband is utilizing a nicotine vapor product that happens to resemble and act like a cigarette.

If it was a square box and didn't have any by product (even if it is just vapor), would it be a problem? Probably not.

I am a smoker too, so I KNOW the pain, I am practically punching people to get outside after even a 4 hour flight. However, there are conspicuous ways of getting a fix that won't involve the entire flight.

Or, to keep it simple, keep the e-cig in the lav.

Originally Posted by AllTheNamesWhereTaken
I wouldn't recommend Chantix. My husband suffered less than pleasant side effects from it, and after two months of using it, cigarettes still tasted the same. It made him very lethargic, anxious, pushed up his bp. If you have ever had any issues with depression, steer clear of Chantix. I have also heard of people suffering "withdrawal symptoms" after quitting Chantix.
In case anyone else is curious about Chantix, it is a black warning product. However, when I was on it for a week, I did not have any reactions to it, except I smoked a lot less and didn't have any cravings. Other reasons prevented me from continuing the product, but from what I experienced, it really does block the affects of nicotine.