FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels, Eating, Drinking and Consumer Goods still so much cheaper in America!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:02 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
You'll have a car in every other major city (L.A., SEA, DEN, etc.) and reasonably-priced motels are a reasonable drive out of the city center.
Glad you brought that up. Having to rent a car will add to the overall cost.

<snip>
Originally Posted by jackal
... but $30 for a decent private motel room with two beds (with ensuite toilet and shower) is very reasonable, IMHO. I have been able to do that all over the U.S. and haven't found anything like it in other developed Western countries.
I've seen a lot of this country over the last couple of years, and not too many Motel 6 franchises charge $30 anymore. Even mom and pop motels don't charge $30 anymore around major cities. Sure, out in the country you can still find them, along the interstates in the middle of nowhere, but around big cities, not so much. Saw lots of $30, even $25 motels in Amarillo, Texas, but really, that's a city you pass through, not visit

Last time I visited Key West (two or three years ago), the nasty IYH was charging about $30 for a shared room Got lucky, and found a private room for a few nights for about the same price, but that was sheer good fortune.

Having said all that, Priceline can be your friend - it's been my friend Especially on weekends when those who travel for work (like I used to) are at home and hotels / motels will slash prices via Priceline to get some money rather than let the rooms go empty.

EmailKid