FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways Flight Attendant would not tell me where flight crew stayed near Airport!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:00 am
USPhilly

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I'm trying to figure out why flight crews think that they are such a security risk. Fact is, when terrorists want to attack an airplane, it's not the flight crew in particular whom the terrorists are targeting. The point is to take out the plane and everyone in it, resulting not only in a massive tragedy by killing many people but also scaring (terrorizing) people who were not even on the flight.

That said, perhaps the fear is that a terrorist will follow a flight crew into a hotel and get his hands on a uniform and ID. But if that were really a concern, why would flight crews take an ordinary hotel shuttle while still wearing their uniforms?
Perhaps I'm wrong but I've always interpreted the "security" issue as something to protect themselves from crazy people/stalkers not the plane from terrorists. Just like you wouldn't tell a stranger where you live. Maybe I'm not understanding it right though?