FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels, Eating, Drinking and Consumer Goods still so much cheaper in America!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:45 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Brand_new_traveler
From a budget traveler perspective I am constantly shocked how much cheaper it is to travel within America than outside our country. I have talked to people who say that it costs twice as much to eat, sleep, drink and make general purchases in most countries than in America.
Gee, where have you been traveling ???

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I think you need to be careful when you make a statment like that, cheaper then where outside of the US?
Eating out in restaurants on my many trips to Costa Rica was much cheaper, and I can eat cheaper in Thailand or Hong Kong as well And equal quality hotels are generally quite a bit cheaper. If you go to Europe, that's another story, but that's mostly because the US Peso, errrrr, Dollar has lost so much value against Euro (granted it regained some recently). And I found restaurants in Spain cheaper than US. Come to think of it my inexpensive hotel was cheaper than its equivalent in US as well.

EmailKid, ALWAYS watching my pennies (well except for those buy ups to Biz on UA TPAC Just love the 747 upper deck )