FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki posts in threads
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:58 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
The wiki post functionality isn't part of the vBulletin core system, so requires the install of a plug-in. Not a deal breaker, but due dillegence is required.
I am not sure if a plug-in means the tech group will write a new piece of software to add on to FT or there's some readily-made plug-in for this wiki post feature. I would like to mention something from my personal experience though.

I recently had a thread in another forum with wiki post feature. Not to go into too much details, it was about a shopping experience and corp/store policy. Some posters confirmed the same experiences while some didn't have the same problems. In the meantime, everybody stayed matter-of-fact posting. Except for one poster.

After reading it, this poster decided to create a wiki post to ridicule my thread. This person made up a whole bunch of fake policies in the wiki post. I don't want to get into a personal "war" with this person so I reported it to the forum mod. The mod reviewed the case and decided to not only delete the wiki post but also remove the wiki capacity in my thread.

I don't know too much about the technical stuff behind it. However, if FT tech dept needs to write a program to allow wiki post on FT, HOM may want to take the following under consideration:

1. allow mods to remove the ill-spirited wiki post, if necessary (such as in my example).

2. reserve the "power" for the mod to "deactivate" wiki capacity in any given thread. Just like what happened to me in the other forum.

3. I don't know if there are that many evil-spirited FTers on board, but we might consider the option to block a say FTer from posting in wiki. Sort of like mask OMNI from folks who can't behave themselves .

Wiki post is publicly accessible and editable to all registered users. It could be a backdoor heaven for spammers as well. The reason why I didn't just edit and remove the fake material from the wiki post in my example is because anybody can edit a wiki post in any given thread. That same person could have posted the same BS things in my thread after I edited it out. There's no point to engage in such a childish back-and-forth wiki editing. In case we do have certain FTers who can't behave themselves in certain threads, it may be a good idea to simply take the wiki posting privilege away from them. I don't know if that can be a thread-specific blocking or only systemwide.

I am speaking from a user's point of view. I'll leave all the technical potentials to you experts.