FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:22 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Actually israeli kids are given teething rings made from peanuts early on - they think this has a lot to do with their lower instance of peanut allergies.

Everyone can live together - the OP's fear of peanuts is understanable, however that one persons allergies should not effect the rest of us on the plane! That is just plain selfish. Learn to live with the allergy yourself!
Very interesting. In fact, as noted upthread, that's how I overcame my allergy to almonds -- by gradual and controlled exposure to allergens. We should be willing to accommodate our fellow passengers. That applies to both sides of the argument.

While searching for any cases of deaths due to peanut dust, I came across FAQs and myths amd misconceptions about anaphylaxis:

There have been severe reactions and even deaths on airlines following exposure to peanut dust or trace peanut protein residue on seats.

FALSE. There was one in-flight death in our study. It followed actual ingestion of food and did not involve either peanut or tree nut.
It seems there are miconceptions on both sides of the argument.

for those interested in correcting their misconceptions here is the link:

MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS