FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:05 pm
secretsea18

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
+1

I also think the med kids should have epipens in them in the rare case someone goes into shock.
The medical kits do have EPI-pens. I personally have opened up the medical kits, during medical emergencies. However, I agree that folks should have their own, and premedicate themselves with other anti-histamines (Benadryl for example) if they are that allergic.

On one of my recent NW flights (747) the purser made an announcement asking for everyone to refrain from eating anything brought on board that contained peanuts due to ONE person being allergic. We still got our nuts in WBC as the mix is all tree nuts. I was tempted to ask the purser if the person carried their own epi-pen, but decided to just mind my own business (unless they called for a doctor for an emergency, that is).

Personally, if I were so allergic to such a pervasive item such that an entire 747 had to not eat that item, I would undergo desensitization treatments to avoid trying to die every time anyone opened some peanut M&Ms.