FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please Share iDine Bonuses [2005 - 2016]
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:01 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I am not positive about this, but it seemed to me that the new United promotion provides on a pro rata basis for the same bonus, regardless of the number of time you ate under their "flag last year -- unlike the AAdvantage bonus promotion which is skewed heavily against elites in their program.

I made elite under their program last year by the skin of my teeth, but my wife had no dines, and we essentially were given the same bonus opportunity 5 bonus miles per spend.

By the way, as I read the promotion, it permits me the pssibility of earning 1,500 bonus miles. I read this as spending upwards of $300 to earn this, although the example they give for a much more modest earning achievement.

Comments?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. That 750 for $150 (max 1500 for $300) is the same as 200 for $40 (max 400 for $80)?

That pretty close to what it is over at AA. What you're forgetting is the AA elite bonus for $150 spend. It looks like RN is factoring that in! At AA, I get 1500 bonus for $400, but that's not counting two 500 bonus I'll get if I include in that $400 over two months $150 each month. So I get 2500 bonuses (plural) over at AA, which looked at that way is more than 5 miles per dollar spent.

Now, I don't know if everyone who got the $400 version is at least Gold at AA, but it seems to me that whether they took into account the AA elite bonus individually or just "on average" for most people who do $150+ every single month, they took it into account.

And thus comparing AA to any other airline's dining program is a little trikcy, because AFAIK AA is the only one with this kind olf steady* extra bonus for its elites. (That elite bonus, btw, never posts at AAdvantage Dining, you only see it on the AA side.)

*Of course, since AA elite benefits for Mar 2009 - Feb 2010 have not yet been published, we can't tell if the 500 bonus miles for $150+ dine will continue to be an AA elite benefit after the end of Feb. But then this current AA Dining promo will be over by March 1 also. So at least for this current AA Dining promo, I think it can be looked at in conjunction with the AA elite bonus.