FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's to do in Tianjin
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:58 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
At least in Beijing, go to Kai, or any of Huxley's joints.
It is with great pride that I tell the forum that my friends and I played an integral role in making the original Huxley's a success (everything from music to drink specials; though, we never managed to convince them of the worth of western toilets).

Around the time Huxley's was marked with the "chai" sign, Huxley and Gaolei "broke up". The former, armed with a big stack of cash, went on open a host of watering holes for BJ's youngsters (I always loved Nanjie, btw), while the latter focused on building up the Bar Street, Back Street, which was truly a wasteland ~5 years ago.

Gaolei is a nice guy and well deserving of his wealth. Furthermore, I sort of believe him when he claims they don't buy fake booze, though JW Blue for y30 a glass just doesn't pencil in my world.

In closing, at 34, I like to think that I've graduated from their target market, but I have to admit that those places still offer tons of excitement, even for older chaps like myself... certainly cooler than Susie Wong's (which was amazing during its first year.... before the business traveler set displaced the cool people, btw).