FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:59 pm
choco

Programs: SPG Platinum/Hyatt Diamond
Let's get real about Brunei

... was there last summer with my wife and daughter. There is breathtakingly little on offer for the tourist in this tiny nation. It's clean with good infrastructure and most local residents are friendly. And of course the mosques are stunning.

Otherwise there is really no 'there' there, very little to recommend this country in terms of sightseeing - it's not Singapore, Hong Kong or central Tokyo, though about the same size. AND ... wine, beer - alcohol of any description in completely unavailable for purchase ANYWHERE (including hotels) in Brunei.
Kind of puts a damper on vacation lunch and dinner times, especially when it's 95 degrees and very humid outside.

The Sheraton Utama is small but nice enough and suite upgrades are no problem for Plats. What was weird, however, was management's suprise that I was actually in Brunei - with family - on holiday. 'Why', one staff member inquired, 'did you come here'? Evidently most Platinum guests are solo males in country on business ... which makes sense as Brunei is not anything like Hawaii for families on tour.

And one more thing : Sheraton Utama GM should really introduce himself to guests. He runs a very good show but, though we ran into him in the lobby numerous times, he never once 'made our aquaintance' ... even though I'm certain he knew our name, we of the sole child resident in this modest property.