FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:00 pm
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Team FlyerTalk
Doing anything mid-March? Well, even if you are I'm interested in recruiting the savviest travelers there are on FlyerTalk to represent my team in a new Amazing Race-style travel competition. The details are listed below. I will fund two members of FlyerTalk to be our team in this competition and just know that the best travelers post here. I'll cover your entry fees, your travel to New York for the start of the competition or local if in Europe, meal money, extra cash for flash, help supplement missing work and of course a marvelous FlyerTalk-inspired wardrobe. As well, this winning team (go, fight, win!) will get to keep the grand prize and all the fame and glory it will bring by winning.

I think this will be a great opportunity for some of our members to have some fun traveling, have some fun challenging their individual travel skills and of course earning a title on FlyerTalk for being our champs.

I'm looking for two members who can work together during this competition and all members are eligible to be considered, just post up your travel skills, what you can bring to Team FlyerTalk and your general thoughts on this opportunity.

SO, feel free to start expressing you desire to be part of my Team FlyerTalk, post here today as I only have until Feb. 10 to name my team.

ABOUT THE COMPETITION:
COMPETITOURS is a team travel competition dubbed 'The Amazing Race For Regular People' by America's largest travel publication, National Geographic Traveler. The trip features a secret itinerary whereby teams of two compete to earn points by accomplishing a daily series of interactive, quirky and fun challenges while soaking in the diversity of Europe's people, culture and attractions. At stake, a grand prize worldwide travel spree.

TRIP DETAILS:
* March 15-21, 2009 $875 per person ($950 for extra free day in Europe March 15-22)
* Pricing includes:
- airfare from New York-JFK to and from surprise European cities
- 5 nights double occupancy at European Standard lodging
- 4 day Eurail Pass
- eligibility to win grand prize: winning team shares a 7 night Marriott stay anywhere in the world plus $700 spending money
- 6-8 challenges for 5 days spanning 3 or 4 European cities; challenges test team abilities to be creative, resourceful, inventive, a bit zany, spontaneous.

* Pricing excludes:
- all meals
- local ground transport, airport transfers
- admissions where applicable
- domestic roundtrip airfare to JFK; must arrive by 300p on March 15
- internet related costs (wi-fi, internet cafes)
- travel/medical insurance (highly recommended)
- other personal incidentals

* What To Bring
- portable videocamera with USB to document challenges and upload for judging every late afternoon
- internet-enabled computer or PDA to download each day's surprise destination, challenges, lodging, health, US govt. info, and updated scoring standings; and to research which challenges to choose as part of your daily customized itinerary
- carry-on rollbag: pack light because you will be your own bellhop between train stations and lodging each day.
- European enabled cell phone to be able to contact Competitours or contacts in USA in case of emergency or other situations requiring assistance.

* Timetable
- Feb 10: final application submitted by each team (email [email protected] for application); 50% payment due
- March 12: international airline itinerary revealed; eticket number provided; JFK meeting place location provided
- March 13: first day's destination city and challenge options revealed
- March 15: pre-trip meeting at JFK 400p
- March 15-21: PLAY THE GAME
• game session 900a-500p approx each day
• teams upload video documentation of challenges by designated daily deadline; judging website URL provided each day
• teams download following day's surprise destination, challenges and plan customized itinerary, routing, point earning strategy
• evenings free time; informal gathering place provided
- March 23: all teams notified of winning team by email
- March 24: once grand prize has been issued to winning team and verified by other teams final 50% payment due

For more detailed info on how this team travel game is played, log onto www.competitours.com or call Steve Belkin
216-346-8788.