FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:47 pm
joejones

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 4444
lol. i was just poking fun at the folks who equate success, or status, by clothing or something as silly as a wristwatch.
At least in my company (investment bank), this game is all about insecurity among middle management. The executive-level people are so inherently powerful that they don't really care how they look. The uber-peons, on the other hand, try to outdo each other so they look less like peons.

Anyway, I think there's a big difference between this particular game and the notion of a "dress code" in an office, club, restaurant, airplane or wherever. The dress code is not there to show success or status. The dress code is there to show respect for yourself and for the people around you. Sure, you can say it doesn't matter, but it does matter to a lot of people, including the people who are giving you service.

Perhaps I say this because my mother was at one point an assistant manager in the MIA Admirals Club, and constantly sharing stories of the famous or powerful people who came through there--invariably accompanied by some line like "Sean Connery looked just as dignified and majestic in real life" or "KISS were dressed like a bunch of construction workers and the girls out front didn't even want to let them in."