FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on a netbook - for internet access only
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:15 pm
redtraveler

Programs: CO Silver, BMI Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by blawson
I wonder if somebody could offer me advice - out with my comfort zone.

I live in the UK and visit the US 3-4 times per year. While I am away I probably use web cafes 3-4 times per week to access the internet to catch up on e-mails, sport and of course flyertalk ;-) I am looking at buying a cheap netbook to allow me to avoid going to web cafes - but instead do it from my room or hotel lobby.

I saw some very small and light netbooks in a local store which I took a fancy to.

Most of the hotels I stay in have free WiFi or your able to connect your PC to a high speed connection in the room at a cost. If not - the local starbucks will have.

Will any netbook I buy off the shelf do this? Is there any ongoing costs?

Will any I buy in the UK work in the US - I assume they come with a tranformer for power issues. I assume that any wireless connection in the UK works exactly the same in the US.

How does the free wireless in hotels work - do you click on the wireless icon on my netbook and select the hotels wireless connection?

I don't require spreadsheets, games or even word.

It will only be used for internet access and maybe for listening to mp3's.

Any advice would be appreciated.
My husband and I just purchased a Dell Mini for a screaming deal. If you don't know about my other favorite website besides flyertalk, check out this link.

For what your needs sound like-any netbook will do.

yes, when you get to a hotel, search for networks and your good to go. We love ours. We travel overseas for a few weeks every year and some other assorted travel so we'll be very interested in it.

We did buy a refurb one and the total was only $310 shipped.

Good luck-let me know if you have any questions!