FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you folks feel about GS members?
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:30 am
Grace B

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Depends on where you are flying, I suppose. I fly ANA from IAD or ORD to NRT and then onto where I really need to go (usually Saigon, Bangkok, or Singapore, so I couldn't fly UA non-stop even if I wanted to). From the West Coast, I fly SQ through SEL, NRT, or HKG.

UA's route structure to Asia isn't all that strong out of ORD (and even less so out of IAD). There are alternatives.

New C/F competitive? Leaving out the flight attendant issues, the bad food issues, the cheap wine issues, the absence of most in-flight amenities issues, and the absence of ground handling issues, it doesn't sound like you have been in SQ or CX's new first class (or SQ's new business). Those seats make even UA's new F/C seats look pretty lame.

I'm with you

Bingo. So whether they gave you GS or not, you'd continue to fly UA.

Voice of truth and reason is "pissy"? Ok. I'm pissy at UA. They deserve it.

I make 1K because Mileage Plus offers certain benefits over other programs. As a 1K, I also get regional and systemwide upgrades (I haven't used a 500-mile upgrade in five years). Sometimes, due to clients' corporate contracts, I have to fly United. I also use my upgrades and miles for family/friends/colleagues.

But I put the bare minimum into Mileage Plus each year to make 1K. Most of my miles go into British Midland (I love the one-way awards, cash and miles awards, and 6.25 miles for each mile flown in F after I have requalified each year). I also love using one of my other Star Gold cards to get into the Red Carpet Clubs on domestic itineraries without having to have a membership.

In short, I take as much as I can get from United and ensure I give them as little business and money as I can.

I do whatever I can to avoid UA. A month or two ago, I had to fly from IAD to ZRH on a paid F ticket. I could have taken the non-stop flight on UA. Nope. I flew on a regional jet to JFK and flew Swiss Air over.

You would think UA would notice that most of my miles into Mileage Plus are flown on other Star carriers, generally in paid F, on routes that UA also flies. They don't. United doesn't care.
I'm with you, Always Flyin. And as for that f/w's comments, perhaps he/she should join the real world.

I imagine next year they may not be GS, given the state of the economy. One can always hope.