FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:20 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SANTIAGO to AUCKLAND (SCL-AKL) on LAN A340-300 in business class

No sooner had I reached the gate than a 2 hour delay was announced, so I traipsed right back to the lounge. By now I’d been up the best part of 24 hours and so I had some more drink to keep myself awake as much as anything else. At least I got some more of this report updated in the interim.

Eventually boarding is announced in the lounge so back to the gate. The load was fairly high and there were quite a few op-ups.

With the aircraft being one that had not yet been refitted with new business class, I had thought there may not be many OW emerald passengers on board and thus a chance to get an F seat, but alas not. Still, I got the next best thing by being allowed to switch to an empty row once boarding was complete.

The amenity kit, headphones and menu were already in the seat pocket. A quick pre-departure drink while boarding finished.

The seats are old cradle ones. Comfortable enough but nowhere near lie flat. With the seat beside me empty I did my usual thing of watching movie on my screen and having the air show on the screen of the spare seat.

Dinner service was ridiculously slow, taking well over 2 hours. Afterwards I finally grabbed some sleep, waking after breakfast as we approached Auckland. It was dawning a clear day so great views of the Coromandel Peninsula, Hauraki Gulf. We’d made up some time en route and landed 100 minutes late.

I’ve noticed that often when LAN is late (as it is fairly regularly) it gets a stand position due to early morning congestion. Today we didn’t get a stand but we did get the furthest gate on the main pier from transfer security and immigration.

I power walked down the pier and was first to transfer security, and more importantly, first to arrive in the lounge. I was welcomed back “to your second home” and grabbed a shower to freshen up.