FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:57 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Transit in Santiago #4

Once through customs with the xray of hand luggage, I turned right and made my way to the lift to international departures. Since I already had the onward boarding pass I proceeded directly to immigration. There were throngs of friends and family chocking up the entrance to immigration and it was not easy getting through since it was noisy and they were looking forward to their traveller in the queue, not paying any attention to those coming up behind them trying to get in. The queue was quite long but very fast moving.

As I got to the booth I realised that this was my 3rd time leaving Chile today, and the 5th time through Chilean immigration in less than 12 hours (plus twice through Bolivian immigration)! While I have done more flights in a day than today, I have never passed through immigration as many times in just 12 hours, let alone so many times for the same country. I wondered if this may lead to questions (in some countries it certainly would) but there was no comment and a quick stamp. Security was also fast moving and I was back in the lounge within 20 minutes of arrival despite having walked a considerable distance up and down the terminal (due to its linear design and the location of my preferred lounge).

The staff on the desk remembered me and welcomed me back. I hopped on the computer and made myself a late lunch/early dinner (and supped at the Henriot champagne which went down well in my parched and tired state) while I caught up on this report and my messages.

After a few hours I grabbed a shower. I didn't want to leave it too close to departure in case the showers were all in use (with a number of longhaul late evening departures and a very full lounge this was quite likely), but with still a few more flights to catch I wanted to be fresh as possible when I boarded the next flight.

Shower done and refreshed, I hopped back on the computer and had some more drink until it was time to head to the gate to board.