FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:34 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Transit in Iqique again

In an unexpected twist everyone was ordered off the aircraft for the transit. Thinking about it, I should have anticipated it as it saves processing through immigration in IQQ those passengers who join the flight here. It also means at the next stop of Santiago the aircraft can be ready to be reused for a domestic flight. However I hadn't thought this through and had hoped it would be a solely international flight, which would make my next transit easy. One reason I thought it would be international is that LAN also has similarly timed flights between Iqique and Santiago that do not go on/from an international airport.

Oh well, at least my next transit is not too short.

So enter the country. Immigration is slow, in part because the flight was fairly full and there were only 2 officers (only 2 booths in fact), and also because the forms were handed out on arrival so most passengers only filled them in while standing in line.

Through customs but told to hold onto the form and hand it over at Santiago instead. Then upstairs (yes no lift or ramp to departure level), and through security to the gate area.

The transit takes 80 minutes all up.