FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:08 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
LA PAZ to IQIQUE (LPB-IQQ) on LAN A320 A319 in business economy class

With a fairly full load I had been unable to change my seat from the middle of aircraft one allocated to me. However on boarding the crew (who also were doing the turnaround) gave me a free premium economy seat - and the middle seat was also empty.

Our takeoff roll was eery. I knew there was basically a cliff near the end of the runway. We took a long time to get airborne and our climb out was very shallow. It took much of the Altiplano to get sufficiently high to get over the peaks. On the way we had a brief view of El Alto and La Paz, and then off to the right Lake Titicaca the highest altitude lake of any significant size in the world.

Again most of the mountains obscured by cloud, but good views for the descent over the desert and then along the coast.

As with the flight up, little service due to short flight time (about 35 minutes going downhill) but yet they do a duty free run (in both directions).

Due to the very fast turnaround in La Paz instead of the scheduled 2 hours, we have gotten close to back on schedule by the time we arrive back in Iqique.