FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:20 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
IQIQUE to LA PAZ (IQQ-LPB) on LAN A320 A319 in business economy class

This short 40 minute flight takes us from sea level to what used to be the highest commercial airport in the world at La Paz, at an elevation of 4061m. (Note there are a couple of higher Chinese airports that have had commercial service added in recent times, and some others are under construction. These are all thought to be close to upper limits supported by current commercial aircraft - ie we won't see a commercial airport above 5000m with current technology.) With our flight path taking us along the coast for a few minutes and then up and over the coastal side of the Andes and then across the Altiplano, I had high hopes for some fantastic views. The views we had were great, however most of the mountains were obscured by cloud despite the clear skies at origin and destination.

Flying along the coast we had good views of the desert landscape - very arid even in the deep gashes cut by rivers from the Andes. Only the very highest parts of the very highest peaks were visible above the clouds. The last few minutes crossing the Altiplano were also clear. A barren land with La Paz's twin city El Alto sprawling out from the edge of the canyon on the slopes of which La Paz sits. The airport is right in the middle of the built up area. This satellite view doesn't really do the setting justice. The contour map may help - the bottom of La Paz is about 2000 feet below the airport.

Some more trivia. IQQ is my third Chilean airport, and Chile the 10th country to have flown 3 or more airports. Of these all Chilean airports have been flown on international flights, and Chile is the 8th country to have flown 3 or more airports on international flights. LPB is the highest point I have been on land anywhere.

I have now visited 100 countries, although the 100th country depends on which country list you use. On other similar lists (such as TCC) I've visited much more than 100 places because they include non-countries.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm Reason: add trivia