FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA & Currency Control
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:07 am
scoow

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by SgtScott31
As long as you can get to your vacationing spot in Florida without being "harassed," it doesn't matter now does it?
OK... I try to stay out of these debates. However, this attitude just steams me. Most FFs are not on vacation. They are trying to do their job; same as you. Their jobs just happen to require they pass through airport security checkpoints on a regular basis. (And keep in mind that exceptions are made for most people who need to regularly access the airport secure area... making it seem "the rules" only apply to those who are actually paying to fly. Just a side Q: How often do you have to pass through the checkpoint? Empty pockets; take off jacket; remove shoes; etc. Weekly? Daily? Once a year on vacation?)

I suspect if the US implemented automotive checkpoints similar to those at the US/Mexican border at the entrance to every US interstate highway, you would see similar complaints from truckers that we have here on FT regarding airport checkpoints. City dwellers and infrequent long-haul drivers probably wouldn't care as much. It's not a big deal - except to those most affected.

In the case of airport security checkpoints, FTers tend to be the most vocal complainers - because they are the most inconvenienced. While some of the arguments I read here are over the top - on both sides - I think we can at least try to understand the other point of view.

OK... now back on topic. Cash /= Contraband. Or does it?

I think if we're going to implement customs checks at the airport, they should be done by Customs... and only for those flyers getting on or off an international flight.