FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will an Aerosol explode in Checked Bags? TSA allow it?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:23 am
oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate

Programs: I work for the TSA
Interestingly, Static Guard™ is also considered a non-personal item. You spray it on your clothes, not on yourself.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine!

I spray Static Guard on my hair all the time!

Bubbaloop, I think the apparent stupidity of the rules (LOL) is a reflection of the fact they're yet another hybrid of safety, public relations and customer service. Being neither fish nor fowl, they do not really enhance safety very effectively, and they still manage to tick off a fair amount of passengers. Such is the nature of compromise, eh? *sigh*

An even better example are the rules governing lighters* in checked baggage. Technically, they're not allowed, but if we see them in the course of an inspection, we're supposed to assume that they're empty, unless it's obvious they're not (for instance, they're leaking and we can smell lighter fluid -- but how often does that happen?).

* Note that this silly policy only applies to BIC and similar lighters, not torch lighters, which are prohibited in checked AND carry-on bags, and that rule is enforced.