FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:20 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SANTIAGO to IQIQUE (SCL-IQQ) on LANA320 A319 in business economy class

Another day, another downgraded flight. An early wake up call made earlier by the rescheduling from 7am to 6am. At least the schedule change makes a later transit more comfortable increasing from 1 hour to 2 hours.

This is the first flight of the day so the airport is fairly empty. A couple of LAN agents on check in counters, some security staff and quite a few travellers who had/still were sleeping in the airport overnight.

When the class of travel and aircraft type changed I got shunted down to the middle of the aircraft. I suspected (and later found this to be true) that the first 3 rows might be premium economy seats albeit with economy service on the flight. So I asked to be shifted forward if a seat was available. It was and I got a bulkhead seat. Note there is no middle seat blocking on all economy flights, but as it happens I have the middle seat free on this leg.

Despite 3 boarding passes automatically printing out of the machine I was only handed the first one until I asked for the other two.

Immigration and security were empty. No queue but a minor wait for the officer on duty to realise I was there.

At this hour there are no OW lounges open, the first one opens at 0600 so I wander around stretching my legs.

As the flight is both international and domestic a joint airbridge is used. We see the IQQ bound passengers through the glass. There are a lot more IQQ passengers than international passengers.

Boarding is late and slow, and we depart 20 minutes late.

Minimal service. A snack box is handed out containing a few sugary items - a faux muesli bar, biscuit and a couple of crackers (no cheese). The usual hot or cold non-alcoholic drinks.

Although we fly along the coast the views are mixed. A clear view of the desert lowlands, albeit in low sun angle haze, and scattered clouds are just dense enough to obscure most of the mountains. The coastal hills are capped with early morning fog.