FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luggage to South Africa
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:54 am
VH-RMD

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I'm in CPT now. We flew JNB and had no issues with luggage.

In regards to transferring, you now don't even need to go outside. The new terminal is all in the one building so once you get your bags, turn left and go towards the travellators that will take you upto the domestic check in Area.

We were flying J with Comair from JNB-CPT and were told the plane had become all Y. They said all they could do was offer us compensation. They offered a free Y flight within SA valid for 12 months. Obviously not coming back in 12 months I couldnt use it.

I ended up asking to be moved to a SAA flight which they said was also Y only, however after going to the SAA ticket desk we found availability and went back to BA and they then rebooked us in J within 5 minutes.

Service in South Africa is pretty bad on the main part. Seems to range from damn awful to average.

We also booked a hire car through our hotel (The Westin) only to find the charmless guy at the desk had only reserved it and not booked it which meant it was not available for us to hire and being peak week there are no other cars available!

Also housekeeping here have on 2 days taken towels and not replaced them (ie no towels at all in the room) and the bed sheets were changed with big yellow stains on the pillows.... certainly not what you expect from a 5 stra hotel charging $600 AUD a night!
Ouch!!! I am going to Durban in May/June.

Don't know what to think now...