FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:36 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yet another epic read from the master of amazing(and enviable!) itineraries. Thanks for all the work you put into this, Kiwi. Once I finally got around to reading it all, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sure enough we did fly close enough to see the ice sheet and parts of coastal mountain ranges. I was pleased with the views, even though I couldn't but help think back to my flightseeing trip at much lower altitude and actually over the continent itself instead of flying near the coast. I had some champagne to mark the occasion.

After a few hours we had pulled far enough north that Antarctica was no longer visible. Most of the passengers continued to sleep, having missed out completely on the spectacle outside I'm not sure that many even appreciated just how close to Antarctica we were flying.
Be it land or interesting cloud formations, occasionally spectacular scenery is one of the best benefits of flight. The assumed interest in the view outside is the primary reason why windows are installed in commercial airliners. I'm always surprised how many people could care less and lower their shades soon after takeoff. Their loss.