FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:43 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AMMAN to ADEN (AMM-ADE) on Royal Jordanian Airlines A319-100 E195 in business class

When I noticed the aircraft change from Airbus to a regional jet I was worried about my carry-on, for I have a potentially difficult transit in Aden and so did not want any checked bags. I recalled reading on FT about how limited the overhead bin space is on regional jets. Given this I even brought a back up bag within my rollaboard so I could at least have the essentials onboard with me in case of needing to check bags and the resultant risk it would not get back to me for days if ever due to my complicated schedule. However, I needn't have worried. My rollaboard fitted the bins just fine, even wheels first.

Boarding must have started really early as when I arrived at the gate (with the door to airbridge shut) there were just half a dozen of us, and we turned out to be the last passengers to board. The load was relatively light. In the business class cabin, the low load, high crew to passenger ratio, and size and layout of the cabin gave the impression of flying a small private jet.

I noticed the seat was similar to the A321 but with minor differences such as in the design of the mini-tray for placing a glass on. No PTV, but personal digiplayers with 100 odd programs loaded on them were handed out.

We had the same pre-departure drinks. Post departure I had a couple of glasses of the local white wine, and then slept as much of the redeye (departed after midnight local time and arrived early morning before dawn local time) as I could.

The air vents were annoying as they fluctuated between cooling and rather hot, and also seemed to bring odd smells into the cabin from time to time.

I awoke on descent into Aden. The lights and reflections off the water were pretty. The cockpit door flew open as we touched down.