FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline Crew members can bring liquids through security?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:42 am
TSASuper

The biggest issue I have with the exemptions is the fact that an airline employee who is traveling simply on personal terms can arrive at the checkpoint in full uniform, get a liquids pass and then change clothes at the first restroom. There's no way to verify that they are on duty at the time they present themselves at the checkpoint. I thought the airline crews were more honest until I saw it first hand at my airport. I'm sure it's a common practice.

I've seen it where an employee was stopped for her water. She stated that she was going back to the lobby to change into her work clothes. She left, changed, and returned to the checkpoint in her work clothes. After that, she changed back into her regular clothes.

I know that if I were a passenger and witnessed that, I'd be quite ticked off. Just like other passengers, I prefer to carry my own drinks onboard the aircraft and not have to rely on a 4 oz cup of water, juice, or soda to get me by. I'd rather have my 32 oz gatorade or something. I also prefer to pay a grocery store's price and not a gift shop's price for the same drink. It's not fair to the passengers.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering. If a TSA person is flying, they have no privileges that airline employees have. They are just a regular passengers.