FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which UD seats are classed as Exit Seats?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:28 pm
sunrisegirl
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Hi sunrisegirl not sure who is correct then.
CIHY
No neither am I - how embarrasing

Our check in manuals are equally clear; the following persons may not be seated in an exit row
a) Any child under the age of 16
b) Any passenger who cannot fully understand instructions given in English
c) Any person who is not fully able bodied.

We are not told about the elderly, though frail would come under able bodied. Nor are we told about the obese, or anyone causing an obstruction. Deportees/prisoners are not officially mentioned but we're all told this in training. Dogs don't come into it as only guide dogs are allowed in the cabin and, again, a blind or deaf person would come under the able bodied bit.

We get a pop up page reminding us of this every time we assign an exit row.

I've just checked on ba.com with a booking I have and picked 62K - the following message comes up:

You have chosen a seat in an emergency exit row
In the unlikely event of an evacuation you will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door. For this reason you must be an able-bodied adult (16 years and over) in full fitness and able to understand instructions given in English.

I declare that I am an able-bodied adult (16 years and over) in full fitness, able to understand instructions given in English and accept the responsibility attached to sitting in an emergency exit row. (tick box requiring consent)

We reserve the right to move you to a more suitable seat if we believe it is necessary.

So it would appear that 16 is the age, though I can certainly understand why you'd think not.