FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:30 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There was no boarding call in the lounge, despite every other flight being announced. With the very light load I was anticipating a later call than usual but was surprised to see final call on the screens. I had barely left the lounge when the few remaining passengers were paged.

Onboard there was plenty of room to stretch out but yet families and couples had been seated apart and not allowed to move together until after takeoff. I guess even large aircraft sometimes have balance issues.

On the seat already was the printed menu. Pre-departure drinks were offered, a choice of water juice or bubbles. Then the various amenities were handed out - pjs, amenity kit, day old newspapers. I looked in the magazine rack for something to read but the selection was pitiful with just Forbes Asia. Somehow I was skipped in the ISM welcome of elites.

We pushed back about 20 minutes late. Our route took us south over Tasmania and with a kink to the south along the Antarctica coastline for a few hours (a long way south of the great circle route) before heading north for Africa. Unfortunately views of the continent were sparse not only because crew enforced all blinds down, but also because of extensive cloud cover. We had a few glimpses from the windows in the door and the loo of ice and snow, but nowhere near as good as I had on the flight from Buenos Aires to Sydney.

We had lunch before we levelled off, pretty much at the same time as post-departure drinks were served. Then a long period with minimal service, before a light meal 90 minutes from landing. Champagne on offer was Charles Hiedsieck.

During the middle of the flight we were given water bottles. A few times I asked for another glass only to be forgotten. I gave up after that

We arrived almost an hour early.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm Reason: forgot to mention the bubbly :o