FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:15 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY to PERTH (SYD-PER) on Qantas 747-300 A330-200 in business class

When I booked this flight it was a 747-300, and possibly one of the last flights I would take in this old bird. However some time ago it was switched out to A330-200. I had mixed emotions - missing a flight on the 747-300 vs a much reduced chance of mechanical issues creating problems with my tight itinerary.

We had a call in the lounge our flight was delayed 25 minutes due to the stock reason of late arrival of the aircraft. I put the extra lounge time to good use - hic. I decided to head out a little early because I thought the flight would be fairly full and at this time of year overhead bin space can be at a premium due to passengers carrying presents as well as normal stuff. There was a huge orderly queue at the gate - everyone was keen to go as soon as possible. 25 minutes became 40 minutes and then we boarded.

Sitting at the front I had to stow my carry on over the row behind me due to the aircraft curvature the front row bins are very shallow - too small even for my little wheelie.

A pre-departure offer of water or juice, and a selection of newspapers. We took off to the south and soon were immersed in the dense low cloud which had been hanging around. Thus no views of the city or the Blue Mountains. I'm not sure where exactly the cloud cover cleared but it was well into the plains. We had moderate turbulence through the first bit of the flight and then light chop for the rest of the way. There was a brief period when service was suspended but for the most part there was no interruption.

IFE on the main screen was first the usual Qantas promotional stuff, then news, then Bondi Rescue, then to check if anyone was watching the safety video, then The Mummy. I'm not sure what was shown after The Mummy as I was asleep but I noticed the final minute of Shrek the Halls just prior to landing.

I was more interested in the view out the window. With our flight falling behind in it's pursuit of the setting sun, the western NSW land below took on an appearance of some other-worldly fantasy land with odd hues and colours.

We had a post departure drink before dinner. The mains was a choice of Thai green curry salmon or chicken with parmesan, plus small salad, some white rolls. The wines on offer were Pinot Noir or Riesling. I do not know what was offered for dessert or afters as I was asleep by then.

I managed a few hours sleep and awoke not long before landing. The lights of Perth shining brightly in clear skies.