FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:06 am
bhatnasx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave a pretty bad tip tonight...intentionally...thoughts?

So, I'm in LIH (Kauai, HI) and I just had dinner at a relatively inexpensive restaurant near my hotel. I ordered a burger with fries & a diet coke (fountain drink). After finishing my drink, the waitress asked if I wanted another one (still waiting for my burger) - I said sure & she brought it to me. I finished the burger & drank my coke and asked for the bill.

When I got the check, I was charged for a burger & fries and 2 cokes. The two cokes came out to 5.60 (2.55 per fountain soda). I didn't say anything about it because I wasn't in the mood to argue, but felt that if the waitress didn't have the courtesy to tell me that they charge on a per fountain drink basis, then I don't feel the need to tip well. There was no indicator on the menu about it and she didn't say anything. Had I known this, I probably would have either stuck with water or asked for the diet coke with no ice (the cup was about 2/3rd's ice each time)

My bill was 18.65 & I paid with a 20.00 & left 35 cents as a tip to reflect that tip wasn't forgotten, but left poorly.

Thoughts? Should I have said something? Should I have left a better tip?

If this was NYC (where I feel its the norm to charge on a per drink basis), that'd be one thing - but this is my 3rd day in LIH & no other restaurant I've been to have charged for second soda refills...if it was the norm here, then I would have accepted it - but it doesn't seem like it is...

Last edited by bhatnasx; Dec 11, 2008 at 1:22 am Reason: Changed a 3 to a 2