FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - award for medical assistance?
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:33 pm
aisleorwindow
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Interesting thread, but I don't understand what everyone is getting so upset about.

NOWHERE in the doctor's original post is there any indication that he/she feels entitled to compensation. All he/she is asking is what to expect, IF ANYTHING.
Seems like a reasonable thing to ask to me. And if the answer is "you should expect nothing" then that's the answer. No biggie. Let's not put words in the doc's mouth.

Doc - thanks for your help. If anything, you should get a thank you from that kid's family, and the other passengers for helping to avoid the flight being diverted.
The airline however has nothing to do with the situation, IMHO.
I don't think you should realistically bank on anything from United (although it's certainly possible). If you were sharing a cab with someone and they suddenly needed medical attention and you helped them - would you expect compensation from the cab company? What about if you helped someone who passed out in a Wal-Mart. Would you expect compensation from Wal-Mart?
Some people's answers to these questions may very well be "yes", I'm just throwing it out there.

If you could "revive" United out of bankruptcy, then you would deserve a thank you from United.

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack