FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid unlimited mileage rate not unlimited
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:43 pm
StevePER

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Question though, here in North America we have what's called the Better Business Bureau (BBB). They are a non-partisan organization that acts as a third-party to resolve consumer complaints with businesses or charities. Is there such an equivalent in Australia?
Our equivalent in Western Australia would be the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection. I'm not sure whether it would be more appropriate to take it up with them or Amex. I'm going to give the Thrifty Prepaid people another couple of days to resolve it - I'm sure it's difficult operating over a 9 hour time difference.

I've got the Rental Agreement now. I remember reading it briefly when I picked up the vehicle - there is a section called Maximum Rental Rates that lists the prices for returning the vehicle late (additional hourly rate, then daily rates). I ignored this section because I intended to return the vehicle on time. But in this list it also says Prepaid Day 1 dys inc 100 km free 100KLMS ALL VEHS ALL INC GROSS RATES.

Originally Posted by jackal
I'm curious how you were able to get a car without signing a rental agreement. Even if you're a Blue Chip member (express service), you should still have to sign it.
They asked if I was a Blue Chip member, I said yes but I don't have my card with me, they checked my license number, and that was all.

Originally Posted by jackal
Technically, if the rental company doesn't have a signed rental agreement on file for you, you could probably dispute the entire rental charges and not pay a single cent--though that wouldn't be terribly ethical.
The Blue Chip website lists as a benefit "No signature require, just show your drivers license". The terms and conditions of Blue Chip look particularly nasty - they say I agree to pay any amount listed in the Rental Charges section of the rental agreement. I don't see how this can apply to a prepaid rental though - it just doesn't make sense.