FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to Have Dinner at MIA?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:13 am
goldengate

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
La Carreta is one of my all-time favorite restaurants in any airport. It is a very authentic Cuban-American cafeteria, with delicious flan and tres leches (which is actually Nicaraguan) custards when you first come in. They also feature a wide array of American desserts like chocolate cake and puddings. I think after the desserts and before the main courses there are some salads but I usually don't waste a lot of time on them...

Their chicken soup, in a small or large cup, features big chunks of fresh white chicken meat bathed in a broth of saffron, noodles and carrots. Yum. Not too salty. It might be the perfect chicken soup.

For the main course, I usually get the "Ropa Vieja" which translates to "old clothes." It is strips of beef in a succulent tangy sauce of tomatoes and green peppers. Get a side of yellow rice, and ask them to pour some black beans over the rice, and put some onions on top of the whole thing and you have a meal that will keep you full for hours.

If you want something simpler, the fresh grilled chicken is also quite tasty.

Only pain is that it is cafeteria style so you have to figure out where to lean your luggage while you pay...but that's a small inconvenience IMHO when you're about to have some delicious Cuban food....!!!