FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:20 am
GrizShel

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Consolidated Marriott Concierge Comments, Part 2.

Note:
First line is the thread title.
Second line is the post date and time and the post # in the thread.
Third line is the Flyertalk handle of the poster.
Some parts of posts irrelevant to the subject of this thread are omitted.

No Blackout Dates - 2009 Program Enhancements
Oct 24, 08, 9:18 am #206
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Ira....how about my question on SUITES? ]]

The upgrade rewards are primarily there to upgrade to a two bedroom or penthouse suite at a Residence Inn or TownPlace Suites. A few other hotels, mostly resorts, use them for upgrades. Even when they are accepted at full service properties they generally only upgrade you to better view and not necessarily a suite. I am not aware of any plans to create new rewards redeemable for suites in the near future.

Ira

************************************************** **********************************
Oct 27, 08, 2:27 pm #259
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by swag
Marriott Concierge - can you alleviate my worries? Can you give some more specifics on what to expect for the limited award nights? Will Marriott publish a list of properties and nights that are limited for 2009, once it's finalized? ]]

I think the best I can do for you is to explain in greater detail what is currently happening and what will happen after January 15th in regard to capacity controls.

Currently all 365 nights of the year at all 3,000 plus hotels have restrictions on how many standard rooms can use reward points. On blackout dates no rooms are open for reward redemption. All other nights of the year hotels are required to open a certain percentage of their rooms for standard redemption. The percentage of rooms hotels are currently required to set aside on all non-black out nights is the same percentage they will have to set aside on the handful of nights when they will be allowed to limit redemption. For example, if XYZ hotel’s current mandatory inventory for reward redemption was 20 rooms per night on all non-blackout dates, when the program changes they will be required to offer at least 20 rooms for reward redemption on the hand full of nights when they have been allowed to limit inventory. On all other nights the hotel must release all of their standard rooms for reward redemption.

Oct 27, 08, 3:41 pm #267
Marriott Concierge
You may be interested to know that Ed French is responding to members' questions here: http://www.thefineprint.marriott.com...nt/14000000000 (You will need to sign in to your online Marriott Rewards account.)

Best regards,

Drew

Oct 27, 08, 3:41 pm #267
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-
Back on page 16 (post #227) I posted a question. I think it got lost over the weekend. Could you please respond to the following (copied from my previous post):

There has been no change. Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa, Wailea Beach Marriott, JW Camelback Inn, & JW Marriott Capri properties will be allowed limited black out dates.

Elite Only European Sampler Reward: Ordering Deadline Reminder
Nov 6, 08, 11:11 am #1
Marriott Concierge
Elite Only European Sampler Reward: Ordering Deadline Reminder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because there has been a fair amount of discussion regarding the Elite Only European Sampler reward I wanted to post a quick reminder about them. You cannot wait until January 14th to order these rewards. This reward is a special offer for to elite members only and the offer expires December 31st, 2008. Below is the link to information about this reward.

The current travel packages will be available to order without a reservation on and through January 14th. Please let me know if you have questions

Regards,

Ira

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mor...points=150,000

A couple of Travel Package questions
Nov 13, 08, 12:02 pm #8
Marriott Concierge
Quote:
[[Originally Posted by rfrost
1. With the forthcoming "enhancements," it looks like I'm going to have to claim the 270K Travel Package I've been saving for in 2009, a bit sooner than I had planned. Since right now it looks unlikely that I'll be able to get away for a full 7days, is there a problem with booking only 4, 5 or 6 nights and forfeiting up front the unused night(s)? (While I'm not thrilled about losing them, I think I'm still better off doing so than suffering major dilution, particularly as I have my eye on a couple of properties slated to move to Category 8.) Or booking all 7 and then leaving a day or two early? ]]

You can book your reservation for fewer nights than are indicated on your certificate. The unused nights, as you mentioned above, are forfeited.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a related series of questions.

When one redeems a travel package award, a 25% cert for Hertz rental is included. Does that cert have any redeposit value?

If not, then does it have any value over on Coupon Connection? Have such things been traded in the past?

Final question; if the cert isn't redepositable and if it has no trade value, then (a) are they transferable as gifts and (b) how long are they normally good for?

No, I'm not making a trade offer. No need to line up.

TIA for all replies. ]]

The Hertz portion of the travel package does not have any point value, and is non-transferable.

However, transferable, in this case means, the certificate will have a name printed on it. The Hertz portion can be issued in any name you choose, and whoever’s name ends up on the certificate is the only one who can use the reward.

Ira

Nov 14, 08, 12:13 pm #391
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by GrizShel
Marriott Concierge, I know you probably can't say anything about whether management is seriously considering anything like this, but can you please let me know that this has been taken and presented to those who might have the power to make such changes as this?

Also, is there anything else we should be doing to voice these concerns to make sure we're heard loud and clear? I'd like to have the confidence that we have been listened to, even if it turns out in the end that Marriott Rewards decides to go forward with these changes as is. ]]

I can promise you that what is said here on flyer talk is read at many levels throughout Marriott. It has and continues to be a valuable resource for customer feedback. Over the years I have seen several positive changes occur because of comments made by the flyertalk community.

With that said I do not want to give anybody the impression that we are currently considering repealing these program changes. In looking at last years hotel redemption activity, 57% of hotel redemptions were for a single night, 22% were for two night stays, 10% were for 3 nights stays, adding up to a total 89% of all hotel redemptions occurring for stay that were 3 nights or shorter. Fewer than 3% of hotel redemptions were for seven night stays. In light of this information as well as other indicators we felt that our program needed to be friendlier to members who enjoyed redeeming hotel rewards for the spur of the moment weekend getaway or last minute emergency trips. These were the travelers who had the most trouble with black out dates and capacity controls. To this end the benefit of this program is that inventory will be wide open for reward redemption.

Your comments, positive or negative, on these threads are extremely valuable and ultimately will help create an even better rewards program. I can not promise you 5 night travel packages for non-MVCI owners, or more points for exchanging your timeshare week. I can promise you that these, as well as the many other suggestions voiced on this thread have been heard and are being taken seriously. I encourage all of you to continue expressing you concerns and ideas.

Ira

Is Marriott Rewards about to be cancelled--Bankruptcy --or just Desperate?
Nov 18, 08, 9:26 am #17
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I was inquiring about Pointsaver awards for RC, and the rep told me that MR is restructuring their reward redemption program and Pointsavers would likely not be offered anymore... ]]

PointSaver Rewards will continue to be offered at up to a 33% points discount off Hotel Rewards. http://www.marriott.com/rewards/lra-faq.mi#question6

Best regards,

Drew

Platinum Line: Travel Packages will no Longer be Offered after Jan. 15, 2009
Nov 18, 08, 4:56 pm #7
Marriott Concierge
The Hotel + Air Travel Package Rewards are not being discontinued. They will continue to be offered after January 15, 2009. The Hopper Rewards, however, expire December 31, 2008 (as aaupgrade mentioned) and will no longer be offered after January 15, 2009. My apologies for any misinformation provided.

Best regards,

Drew

Nov 21, 08, 1:29 pm #459
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by dayone
I agree. My rule of thumb is avoid posts that extrapolate number data to prove a point. That rule seems to be especially sound on this thread. ]]

dayone, I should have sought your wisdom before creating my last post. My reason for bringing up redemption statistics was a poor attempt to express what Bill Marriott said much better yesterday in his blog, “It is a balancing act anytime we make a change.” On one side of the scale was the need to make it easier to redeem points for stays at our hotels. On the other side of the scale was the need to keep our rewards competitively priced. Simply put, there is no way to increase availability for reward redemption without also increasing the cost of the rewards. When it comes to determining whether we made the correct choices and what future adjustments need to be made is where your feed back becomes extremely valuable. Marriott is grateful for all the feed back we have received, positive and negative. I hope the feed back continues after the change takes place January 15th so that effect of nearly unlimited redemption availability can be weighed against the changes. I am confident for some of you this will improve your perception of the change while for many others of you this will not improve your view in the slightest.

Several of you also expressed interested in more data regarding redemption and occupancy statistics. Unfortunately, most the numbers you have requested I either do not have access to or I can not share.

I would like to make this transition as simple as possible for all of you. Many of you have sent us personal messages with questions about how this change will affect your current individual travel circumstances. Please feel free to continue to send these messages and emails. We are happy to assist in what ever way we can.

Ira.

Last edited by GrizShel; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:30 am