FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:19 am
GrizShel

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Consolidated Marriott Concierge Comments, Part 1.

Note:
First line is the thread title.
Second line is the post date and time and the post # in the thread.
Third line is the Flyertalk handle of the poster.
Some parts of posts irrelevant to the subject of this thread are omitted.

No Blackout Dates - 2009 Program Enhancements
Oct 20, 08, 4:29 pm #1
Marriott Concierge
No Blackout Dates - 2009 Program Changes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on feedback from our members, I am excited to announce a number of program changes being made effective January 15, 2009 – and we are announcing it here first. The official announcement will be made tomorrow on Marriott.com and by email.

Blackout dates will be eliminated. Starting on January 15, 2009, every hotel will have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. While this does not mean you will never again have difficulty booking a redemption stay, it does mean these difficulties will be rare. Hotels will only be able to limit the number of rooms available for redemption on a very limited number of nights.

Platinum Elite Bonus will increase from 30% to 50%. In order to strengthen our elite program and recognize our most valuable members, the platinum bonus will increase from thirty to fifty percent of the base points earned.

Redeem for 4 nights and get the 5th redemption free. You will also see changes in the way hotel rewards are priced. We will migrate to a one night award structure with redeem for 4 nights, receive the 5th night free award option.

We are very excited about these program changes. I encourage all of you who are interested in knowing more to look over the information that has been posted online at: http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?...tRoomAvailable and let us know what questions you have. It is our goal to make this program upgrade as simple and rewarding as possible.

Regards,

Ira

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 21, 08 at 4:38 pm. Reason: reader feedback

Oct 20, 08, 6:38 pm #16
Marriott Concierge

Many of you have pointed out there is an element of point inflation. I can not say that this change will be better for all of you. The fifth night free enhancement was brought on, in part, to mitigate this effect. For Platinum members this effect is further mitigated by the increased elite bonus. You may be spending more, but you will also be earning more.

The primary goal of this change is to make reward redemption more accessible to all Marriott Rewards members.

For those of you, who do not have the luxury of booking redemptions stays significantly in advance, or can not use your points for long stays at a single location, I trust you will find these changes rewarding. Using your points for a spur of the moment weekend trip will be easier, and adding a night to your stay will be simpler because instant redemption will not require anytime rewards.

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 21, 08 at 5:46 pm. Reason: Did not put name on it

Oct 22, 08, 11:31 am #133
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by VA1379
Marriott Concierge
1. Allow us to book travel packages and use them for future reservations. Yes, it is a one time hit for Marriott, but it would lessen the anger over the changes.
2. Let us book a travel package for 5 night stays as well as 7 nights. I think this would be a nice choice, especially for the higher category properties. ]]

I have a bit of good news for you. Travel packages and hopper rewards ordered prior to January 15th can be used for reward stays booked on or after the 15th. If you call Guest Services on January 14th, (it may be a little busy if you all decide to do this) and order as many travel packages as you have points for, the mileage will be transferred to the airline you chose and you will have twelve months from the date of issuance to use the hotel portions.

Regarding the creation of five night travel package reward, I have sent your suggestions on and will keep you informed on what I find out.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by sziv50
Marriott Concierge - can you address what will be done to protect against hotels manipulating their inventory to reduce the number of standard rooms. This is the same exact problem that existed with the Stay Anytime awards. All a property had to do was change the room type to "Deluxe" or some other room that is almost identical to the "Standard Room" to get around the requirement to offer the room as Stay Anytime. I don't see how this will change with the current program. In fact, now a hotel has even more incentive to re-classify it's rooms and reduce the number of standard rooms available.]]

This is a good question. Without mentioning specifics, (mostly because I don’t have that many of them regarding policing the changes on the hotels side) I can say that I have seen the training that was sent to the hotels and what they are required to do is very clear. One advantage to the new system is hotels will be reimbursed for redemption stays at a much higher rate than they used to, so there really is very little incentive for them to try and cheat the system.

Ira

Oct 22, 08, 6:00 pm #167
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
[[I'm curious as to whether Marriott considered the issue of the Category 5 Free night Certificate posted to each card holders' MR account commencing with their second year as a cardholder. ]]

I am not aware of any plans to change this benefit. You will still receive the same category 5 certificate on your anniversary. Since this award is only valid for six months, having no black out dates and only limited capacity controls should make this particular reward a better value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKO
[[What about 7 night stay certificates (ordered without an travel package)? Will they still be good in 2009? One year expiration also? ]]

Travel packages are unique because they are set up so that they can be ordered without a reservation, allowing for the stay and flight to be coordinated more easily. All other non-promotional hotel rewards are attached to a reservation and when the reservation is cancelled so is the reward. On the other hand, the hotel portion of a travel package is not canceled with the reservation. Instead it floats in your account until it is attached to a new reservation. The only way to use the current seven night rewards next year is to book your stays prior January 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandaler
[[+1 here. We bought two MVCI weeks years ago strictly for the points exchange. I wish I had on paper the verbal promises made at that time as to how generous the points exchange would be in getting hotel stays and travel packages. The only written promises were the (fixed) point exchange value - which have been severely depreciated in value over the years. How about the MC addressing this issue.

We are still communicating with MVCI on this issue. I will post something when I have something concrete.]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awb824
[[In the past, we have been able to extend the hotel portion of the travel package each year for another year if we were not able to use it. Will this option still be available? ]]

If you are wanting to know if you will be able to extend one of the current travel packages after January 15th, effectively extending its expiration until some time in 2010, the answer is “no you will not be able to.”

Please let me know if I missed the point on this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holocker
[[Will I be able to use a travel reward package for current CAT 7 Hotels- that will become a Cat 8 Hotel- if I book the room before Jan 15. ]]

Like all category changes, if you book before the hotel category changes the original price at the time you booked will be honored.

Ira

Oct 22, 08, 6:12 pm #171
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-
Would you please clarify the following:

So you can't book a Euro Hopper award now, then make reservations for Europe hotels after Jan. 15 when they are category 8 properties?

You have to have the Hopper award before Jan. 15 and the reservations confirmed before the change to a category 8 property?

Thanks! ]]

I think you understand this correctly.

For clarity I will give you an example.

If you want to use your hopper reward at the Paris Champs Elysees next year, (it will be a category 8) you need to book your stay prior to the change. If you book your stay prior to the change, then after the 15th of January change your dates or decide to stay at a different category 8 hotel, you will need to order the new rewards. However, if you wanted to use the hopper for the Paris hotel La Defense Renaissance, or the Hotel Le Parc – Trocadero Paris, you could use the hopper without making your reservation before January 15 (because they will not be category 8 Properties).

*Edit* I have looked into this further. If you order a European Hooper reward prior to the change you will be able to use it at any European property regardless of when you book. As long as the expiration date has not expired on the reward and the stay is booked for reward redemption you will be able to use it. This includes all the properties that will become category 8. *End Edit*

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 23, 08 at 11:16 pm. Reason: Missinformation

Oct 23, 08, 10:44 am #190
Marriott Concierge
Quote:
[[Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
1) At the moment if I order a travel package with 120K miles (235,000/250,000/270,000 points) and then do not use the hotel portion I get a redeposit of 10,000 25,000 and 40,000 for a cat(1-5) cat(6) and cat(7) respectively. Can you confirm that this would still apply in the scenario you mention where a hotel portion ordered before January 15th is not used within 12 months and you no longer let it be extended.

2) Will we be able to extend the hotel portions of travel packages after 12 months for travel packages ordered from 15th January (as we could do before this set of changes)

3) Under the new pricing of 270,000/300,000/330,000/360,000 for a 120,000 miles travel package what will the redeposit amount be if a hotel portion is not extended/cancelled. ]]

Question 1: Yes, if you cancel the hotel portion of your travel packages, even after January 15, the current value for the hotel portion will be reimbursed. The values, however, vary widely depending on the amount of miles you get from the package. As you pointed out, a category five ranges from 10 thousand to 40 thousand points. It is usually a much better value to redeem them for even a one or two night stay than turn them back in for points.

Question 2: The new packages issued after the 15th will be extendable, provided there are no unforeseen changes to the program.

Question 3: I will look into this. While I imagine there will be some sort of option to turn the hotel potion back in, I have no numbers on what the value will be.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by slowly
Why? The Euro hopper certificate, IIRC, says "x free nights at any hotel in Europe". No reference to hotel category whatsoever. And "any" is a very unambiguous word… ]]

This is a very good point; I may have spoken to hastily. Let me look into this and get back with you.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by crazyhorse
So what happens if I order an award and do not end up using it? I understand that these are actually paper certificates, no? Do they come with an expiration date on them?
In the event they are no longer honored, do I get my points back (150K) if I dont end up using any of them? If I use one of the 3 certificates and not the others, what would be my options? ]]

If you turn in all portions you will get the full value back. If you are only turning in one portion the value is decreased. A two night portion is 33,250 points and a three night is 46,000 points.

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 23, 08 at 10:53 am.

Oct 23, 08, 11:08 pm #203
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by slowly
I'm questioning Marriott's ability to retroactively change T&C on certificates already issued which state that they are valid at any Marriott hotel in Europe. ]]

I have looked into this further, and I did in fact speak hastily. If you order a European Hooper reward prior to the change you will be able to use it at any European property regardless of when you book. As long as the expiration date has not expired on the reward and the stay is booked for reward redemption you will be able to use it. This includes all the properties that will become category 8.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by frisbeeace
Many of us have unused hotel certificates that were part of a travel package and were issued BEFORE these new rules were announced. We were confidently saving those certificates for the future in the knowledge that they were (are?) extendable at any time. Those certificates may have already expired or may expire soon. So my questions are:

1. What can we do with those certificates that we thought were extendable and will expire before we are able to use them?

2. Can we keep them alive by making a reservation up to Jan 15th even if they expired before that date?

3. What will happen with a certificate that is already attached to a reservation if you need to change dates or hotel beyond its expiration date?

4. Wouldn´t it make sense to establish a deadline for all certificates issued under the old T&C by January 15th, 2010 giving exactly 1 year after the start of the new program? ]]

Question 1: If the hotel portion of a travel package cannot be used you can turn it back in for some points. To be honest, the points you get for returning the hotel portion of a travel package is pretty insignificant. You usually get a better value if you use them for a weekend somewhere when you can get a way for seven nights.

Question 2: You do not need to make a reservation to extend a travel package. Contact guest services and let them know you have a hotel portion of a travel package that will be expiring and ask them to reissue it for you. That will change the valid date to a year from when it is reissued. Keep in mind you need to do this before January 15th.

Question 3: If you think this may happen I recommend you call sometime in January (before the 15th) explain that you are uncertain about the dates and would like to have your hotel portion reissued so that the expiration date is a year form when you call.

Question 4: Some of the current travel packages will be issued after January 15th in order to accommodate redemption reservations made prior to the change. These certificates though will have a final expiration date of sometime around January 15th 2010, regardless of when in 2009 they were ordered.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by goingbananas
Here is my question. I ordered 3 travel package codes 0830 for Category 1-5 at 235,000 points. I was going to use them this year, but plans have changed.

Now, lets say, I want to upgrade the certificates to a cat. 6 hotel using points in the springtime. Will the additional points (to go from a cat 5 to a 6) cost me 15,000 per certificate (the old rate, 235K for cat 5 to 250K cat 6) vs the new rate, now being 65,000 per certificate. (the old rate 235K I redeemed at for cat 5 to the new rate of 300K for a cat 6 change)? ]]

Technically speaking if you wait until after the change to upgrade the certificate, the old rewards will not be available (meaning you would pay the higher amount) unless you have a reservation using points that was booked prior to the change. My recommendation is that, if possible, you do the upgrade before the change.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-

I have an e-certificate from a travel package (category 5) that expires Oct. 2009. Currently it is linked to a March 2009 reservation, but I might not be able to take that trip. I know I can make reservation changes (subject to availability of course) until Jan. 14, but I'm worried my plans may change after that date. I hate to make 20 reservations now just to cover all my options, but I also don't want to have to pay additional points in 2009 to use this category 5 certificate.

Questions:

1) Prior to Jan. 15, can I extend this certificate so it is good until Jan. 14, 2010 or at least Dec. 31, 2009?

2) What happens if I find availability and want to use it at a category 5 in July 2009? Will there be an additional charge for extra points? ]]

Question 1: Yes, see the information above regarding extending the rewards.
Question 2: As long as you have a category 5 certificate and the hotel is a category 5 at the time you booked it, you will not need to spend any additional points.

Ira

Last edited by GrizShel; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:29 am