FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Afa files lawsuit over delta’s unlawful conduct
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:58 am
motytrah

Originally Posted by ADLFO
I read this as AFA will vigorously pursue this litigation so they can still be relevant.

Stay strong and keep united for what? Worse benefits? What is your take on this post?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=142
The problem with that argument is the Union was denied the right to negotiate a contract. It was forced on them by the bankruptcy judge. I don't know how you can say the union was at fault when they were told they could not take any work action and could not negotiate.

As far as the DL goes, NW couldn't complete the merger until DL specifically bound itself to the AFA contract. There's a whole section on merging which I'm assuming the AFA says DL is out of compliance with. In the end the court will decide, but I would guess DL is gambling that they can keep this running around in court until the vote comes up.

I guess I'm not surprised with how DL is playing this. Post merger only 30% of the DL FAs would have to vote for the union to make 50% + 1 vote. There's a lot to be gained with some gamesmanship.

The real losers are the PAX who'll get caught in the middle of two irritated work forces.