FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:20 am
dfotn

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
After reading the posts in this thread my thoughts and attitudes have changed a bit on this topic.

I now better understand the need for emotional support animals (ESA). This thread has promted me to do a little internet research on service animals so I also now think that more than ever ANY service animal needs to go through proper service animal training. Those that use service animals should get the proper education on keeping a service animal. From the posts of those who have taken these steps I would imagine that if all service animals were trained and kept properly we would probably not even give them a second thought.

The posts from those who legitimately use ESA show that these posters, at least, are mindefull of those around them and the effect their animal may have on others.

I do still think that there are those who are using the ESA rules to selfishly get their way so that they can bring common pets with them. As with anything there are those who abuse. This thread has helped me to not lump all ESA users in that group.

The FA on the OP's flight still could have handled the situation better. On that my opinion has not changed.