FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:56 pm
UrbanFirefly

I actually have an emotional support animal, and though I have not taken her on any flights yet I have taken her to crowded weekend long events for over 3 years. She is always bathed and teeth brushed and everybody loves her. I do have medication and the proper documentation for her.

I actually found this thread because I am trying to decide if I can handle my holiday travel plans without her. Not that it is anybody's business, but I have been through a great deal of emotional stress and trauma in the last 7 years and have had anxiety and insomnia for years. I can literally go for more than 3 days without sleeping even with medication if she is not with me, and I have a great deal of anxiety about flying.

My mother has also had a lot of stress, loss and heartbreak in the last year. She has requested that I spend the holidays with her. Do I ignore her wishes so I can accomodate people who can't see my disabilities?

My dog is my security blanket. Do I feel silly about it sometimes, or self-concious? Definitely. But having her with me has allowed me to reach for certain dreams I wouldn't be able to attain otherwise. She is a barrier to too much coming at me. I put a cute collar on her or some other item that distracts strangers from me to her. It works for me and my therapist and doctor agree.

Sometimes it is a challenge to have her with me. Her needs and well-being always need to be considered as well as mine. I don't think she would have nearly as much issue with flying as the person who started this thread would have with her there, but for me, I'd be happiest on a plane if I could curl up under the seat with her. Does that mean I should never travel? I grew up seeing the world and would like to see much more of it. It's just hard for me to get there.