FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Running a laptop without battery ... good idea?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:35 am
DeafFlyer

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by USAFAN
Are you sure?

I found this on Wikipedia .... should have done this before I posted the question:

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e. g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.[21]
Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [37] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[21]
When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[38] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
Well, that's telling you how to store them and I didn't get into that. Ifyou just pull the battery and toss it into a drawer for a long time, don't be surprised if it won't work anymore. If you aren't storing it, then it's best to keep it charged.