FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strike announcement
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:27 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Point taken on KL, I wasn't aware that they are as bad when it comes to looking after themselves first. BA, well, it doesn't concur with my observations. The fact of BA being less strike-prone for minor changes in work environment supports my point (which does not necessarily mean that I consider the current labour dispute at AF a "minor reason", I am making that statement in a more generalist sense. We all know that AF staff go on strike much more often and often for ridiculous details). Same could be said of LH, LX, OS, SK, AY, TP.... They go on strike as well, but much less often, only for major things, and only after other means of resolving the differences have been exhausted. AF, along with AZ and OA, is one of the most "strikiest" airlines in the industry in Europe.

As for food, I won't respond as the discussion of absolute food quality is off topic and JOUY31 was right in pointing out that we shouldn't veer too far off. My original point was the difference between food for pax and food for crews and how that fits the picture of Air France's crews' concern for their private pet comfort, which often leads to strikes. Sure, one is governed by labour contracts, but how wicked must one's commercial mind be to cut pax service levels but to keep it up for employees and then rub it under their nose? Also, how can it be that all other airline crews find less condescending ways to deal with the issue of crews being on the road for several rotations in a row, but not AF? Simple: they just get served the normal business class catering, but no special meals. On top of that, no shorthaul crew is flying during all three meals of the day (I happen to know their plans), unlike many pax.

I'll leave it at that, I think we have made our points clear. I find this strike silly and unjustified (no real reason, only ones in the world to go on strike for this), and I think it fits the picture of AF crew being very concerned about their personal comfort/benefits/privileges (which is OK), even if this means putting off customers (which I find strange) and going on strike (which they do much more often than others). You argue that all European airlines are more or less the same on this, and I don't agree. So let's agree to disagree.

I don't want to be accused of completely hijacking this thread, which is also providing very useful info for many pax out there.

To add some own experience: return from EWR to CDG last Friday. Conflicting information first, plane then left with about 1 hour delay (which may not have to do anything with strike). On the ground, customer staff couldn't really help pax other than saying "contact ground staff in Paris". Same by FAs in the air. On the ground in Paris, Terminal 2E (after the cumpolsory 10 minute wait for the jetway and then being locked out of the terminal for another 10 minutes), customer service counters seemed well staffed, and there were no long queues.

Oh, and of course: I was sitting next to a guy in Business who was put there by an FA during taxiing to the departure runway with the words "Make yourself comfortable here, darling. I'll be a bit busy in the beginning but I'll come to see you later." Similar cabin shuffles during outbound flight. Sigh...