FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strike announcement
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2008, 1:53 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
How about United Airlines, where the Pilot's Union contract mandates that they MUST fly in first class when deadheading. Even if they have to boot out a paying passenger. Also they MUST reserve another First class seat on long flights for the 4th member of the rotating flight crew to rest in. That plus the massive pay raise their union pressured for, is what financially put the company into bankruptcy. Again, you can't point at Air France in these instances and ignore the equally questionable practices of other airlines and unions.

I did admit that French politicians are especially weak-willed when it comes to fixing the problems. Margaret Thatcher, they are not.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not suggesting that Air France is the only company where employees have an "employee first" attitude instead of a "customer first" attitude. I made my comments in the context of the discussion around whether a certain attitude to work is common in France. I maintain that an "employee first" culture is much more widespread in France than in most other developed countries.

Other than that I notice with a lot of satisfaction that you no longer deny a somewhat "unenthusiastic" attitude towards work widespread in France, but merely restrict yourself to pointing out isolated examples elsewhere. So in other words, I have a point here, right?

PS: just stepped off an AF flight, which gave me plenty more evidence to support my point of view. But no need to go in details here.