FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning - things may turn nasty - stay away!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:03 pm
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Well, there was that guy who evidently passed out and drove his car through the fresh market in Santa Monica a few years ago, killing about five people. Freak accident, but just as deadly as political or terrorist violence. And there were the Tube bombings and the bus bombing on a quiet street I know in London in 2005. And Atocha Station in Madrid. And Bali. And Bali again. And Morocco. And Sharm. Plus the British-affiliated buildings in Istanbul. The theatre seige in Moscow. The xenophobic violence in South Africa this year. The Marriott in Jakarta. The Marriott in Islamabad. The trains in Mumbai. The rocket attack on the plane leaving Mombasa. The political violence in Kenya. The pirates off Somalia. The bus attacks in Egypt. The nightclub fire in Rhode Island. The stampede at a nightclub a few weeks earlier in Chicago. Not to mention all of the problems in Israel since the second intifada. All of that is just since the 9/11 attacks.

Bad things can happen any time, anywhere. If we all stayed home for fear of bad things, we'd never see anyplace.

The London bombings in 2005 actually prompted me to make my first trip to London in nearly 10 years, the previous one having been a few weeks after the IRA attack on Canary Wharf in 1996. The Bali bombings did not make me stay away. I definitely won't stay away from Thailand because of this.