FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strike announcement
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:24 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I was under the impression that this is not a new issue and that the discussion had been going on with the pilots and FAs for a very, very long time. With only one answer from most unions: NO this is not negociable.
As a taxpayer that subsidizes the retirement system of these people, I understand the frustration of our elected representatives. As a pilot of FA , I would be keen on retaining some antique advantages. But the changes are minimal and the airline industry must realize that they still live in another age. Their strike power has delayed the changes at some airlines, but it cannot continue forever. This is a competitive environment. Sorry JOUY31 but I disagree with you. Given the critical time for the French economy, such an unbelievable benefit , paid by the State not AF, is not sustainable. The nation cannot continue to subsidize these guys.
Doesn't this have a feeling of déjà-heard? How many times have required reforms been adjourned sine die because of industrial protests with government and Parliament paralysed like a rabbit caught in a car's headlights? Isn't it time to break the spell?

Anyway, moving back from the OMNIesque derivation, I take it that we do not have any specific information on the expected impact on domestic flights then?