FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning - things may turn nasty - stay away!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:31 am
maskedavenger

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by behuman
The Thai PM warns that there is a high risk of terrorism after 16 November and recommends to avoid crowd gatherings (this of course includes shopping centres).

But already this morning there was a bomb attack http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bombin...a-t222556.html. This shows deep disrespect towards the monarchy - the funeral of the kings oldest sister is taking place until 16 November.

Even if this bomb attack is not related to the present political turmoil it is a bad sign. Many people now are much desperate and if usually quiet and kind, Thais can become extremely violent.

Just two more quotes from the forum above (not from me):
- "Nice way to scare of tourists and show how corrupt this country is in everything."
- "Warning! This country is owned and operated, and inhabited by Thai people, enter at your own risk."

Sorry to all Thailand lovers on this board who hate my comments - I think nobody can contradict me this time.

And to all prospective tourists: There are so many good spots in Asia where you even get more for your money. So why persist?
I'm a Thailand lover....but have to agree with this. There is trouble in the air.

"Bangkok - A bomb hurled Thursday morning at protestors at Klong Toey Market in Bangkok injured 13 people, two of whom were in critical condition, police said.

'Eyewitnesses said the bomb was thrown by a man on a motorcycle from the bridge that overlooks the market,' said Police Colonel Suthip Palitkusontat, of the Klong Toey Port Police Station."

"Vendors at the famed open air market - the largest in the capital - have been protesting efforts to evict them by a private company that won a new lease on the area on October 29."

Also;

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Tuesday warned the public in the capital to avoid crowds and public areas such as parks after the weekend according to advice from the metropolitan police that violence and explosions could occur in a number of locations.

The police, he said, had warned that bombings could erupt in many places throughout Bangkok after November 16 and the government has been watching after several groups had come out on streets and created chaos recently.

Police arrested several people possessing explosives in the past four days, Mr. Somchai said, adding that the public should avoid travelling in areas where troubles could occur.

The government is concerned because the royal cremation ceremonies of the late Princess Galyani Vadhana, elder sister of King Bhumibol Adulyadej, will still be underway on November 16, he said.

Responding to the reports of the parliamentary investigation into the October 7 violence at Parliament, Mr. Somchai said he still did not know the details.

Mr. Somchai said he did not even know who were the probers but the investigation could only be genuine if it can be proven scientifically.

Based on all of the above, this is really not a place to bring your family on vacation, at this time. If you are totally innocent of any connection to any group, you can still be killed by thrown articles and stray bullets. Not a good situation.