FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 13: Building Consensus
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:59 am
bhatnasx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by Jenbel
As has been well demonstrated, TB is not just about what ideas you bring to it, but your ability to work with others to persuade them to your viewpoint, or be flexible enough to amend your views to enable consensus to be built around your proposals. How do you go about building consensus within a group, and are you able to compromise when you feel that you are right, but cannot persuade others to your viewpoint?
This sounds almost exactly like a question I was asked in my job interview last month which brought me to Vegas - I got the job, so I'm hoping I can answer it here as well!

As its a two part question, let me answer the first part first: I build consensus by present sound, rational, logical thought-out persuasive arguments and letting the idea's speak for themselves. I am not an egoist & I believe in working towards the common good. When I am wrong about something, I will admit that - however if I truly believe in something, I will fight for it.

That said, I don't like to stand in the way of progress and willing to comprise as long as its a win-win. So, to answer the second question, I am able to compromise.