FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:23 am
ILUVCITIBANK

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
My family and one other family traveling with us had a super stay in June, 08. We (my family) received a corner room which had the typical extra space due to the design of a corner room...and my friend's room was up the hall a bit. I am a SPG/PLAT and they were not.

Small downer was that we requested adjoining rooms but our two rooms were separated by about 8 rooms. Since I had booked the two rooms months earlier, and since I am a PLAT, I can't imagine how my request was not fulfilled if they use *either* of these criteria for assigning rooms (elite level and/or chronology of booking)...adjoining rooms seem to be the least-fulfilled request of any I ask for in my spg experience now of 5+ yrs, and I rarely ask for anytuhing in "comments" except what is in my profile (except for the adjoining room(s) request when I do multi-room bookings, usually for leisure and usually w/ family and w/ small kids which I would like to not have to send out in the hallway to go to the other room(s). My final conclusion is that leisure travelers, even when elites and/or long-held bookings, are unlikely to get requests honored when the room mgr is assigning rooms. oh well. But I digress...

Rooms seemed updated and spacious, clean, etc. Excellent location, near tourist areas (Navy pier especially).

We would definitely consider this "in the mix" if we returned to Chicago.

P.S. indoor pool area was massively-loaded w/ chlorine. Tried to hold an informal mtng in the pool area (four adults) while kids swam...chokingly-oppressive. I mean on a scale of 1-10, their pool was a 9+ in terms of saturated chlorine (any more it would surely have made the water yellow). Sure wish modern-day hotels would look at the salt-water conversions going on in so many US (residential) pools these days and get out of the chlorine/bromide chemicals.