FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 11: Forum Creation/Deletion
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:03 am
phillipas

The big question.

And I don't think there's a simple answer.

Segmentation of FlyerTalk into more forums serving a variety of constituencies is beneficial to the extent that it is beneficial, otherwise it's not beneficial. Well - as an answer it's totally correct, totally accurate and tells you nothing. It's really a question of where the lines is - and indeed I'm not at all convinced taht said line is a nice straight one!

In terms of creating forums and closing forums my criteria would be whether I think it's a good idea - and beyond that there's not much I can say. There are a whole range of reasons I might support a proposal, and a whole range of reasons I might be against a proposal. Obviously traffic levels and worthiness play a part - but there's no fixed metrics.

To my mind the best defence against bad collective decisions on the part of TB is for each member to simply stick to asking the general question of whether something is a good idea. With 9 votes the right decision would just happen.

Instead at present there's the politics, the high school debates, the navel gazing - and the let's-do-anything-other-thatn-answer-the-bloody-question.

If any member wants to know my views on the merits of any particular proposal - feel free to PM me and I'll add to this thread with my 'vote' and my reasoning.