FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:38 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by cepheid
That said, I do think it's a bit rude to give large numbers of coins as payment to non-corporate entities (like nannies, babysitters, the kid who mows the lawn, etc.). Those kinds of employees generally can't, without significant expenditure, accept credit cards (PayPal's fees are a significant hit for people who generally operate only on cash) and they probably aren't as enthralled with dollar coins as some people are; burdening them with trying to spend or convert those dollar coins is somewhat rude, IMHO. Entities who transact in large amounts of cash (like stores, banks, etc.) are fair game, but not IMHO for personal transactions like the above.
agreed in part, although the bank of America that I had been using in my town to cash in these in bulk had said that while they don't like taking $500 from me, they would take $10 here or $5 there or something. This same branch would take lots of $2,000 but would rather not see me in there unless it's for very small or very big lots of coins.

that being said, kids who get them for mowing the lawn, etc wont have a problem using them and may even think they are kinda cool! I bring up the local pizza place in my town again where the old lady behind the counter said she'd take $5 for the sandwich I bought but didn't want to accept an unopened roll of $25 coins and give me a $20 bill in change because, as she said, "I have no place to put it in the register and the bank gives me trouble when depositing too many of these at one time!"